Being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes can lead to anxiety, fear, and a lot of confusion about what kinds of foods to eat. It also usually comes with the harsh reality that you may face when taking medication for the rest of your life. However, the good news is that there are steps you can take into your diet and lifestyle that can help improve your overall health and potentially even reverse your type 2 diabetes.
Let we look in the top four tips for healthy living with diabetes …
1. Eliminate processed sugar. A big part of controlling your blood sugar is watching your diet. A great way to improve your health is to swap your processed sugar for natural sweeteners like stevia or high fiber fruits like raspberries. The less sugar you eat, the better you can balance your blood sugar levels.
2. Fight stress. In times of trouble, your blood sugar levels spike, so here’s one more reason to make sure you’re managing your overall stress levels. Knowing how to best handle stress is essential when feeling completely overwhelmed, as this type of pressure can interfere with your overall health. Try implementing a handful of stress management techniques in your day, whether this is …
- a yoga class,
- deep breathing, or just
- spend a few minutes meditating before starting the day.
Taking time to reduce stress a bit can make a big difference in how you feel and how well you balance your blood sugar levels.
3. Check with your doctor. Once you are diagnosed with unstable high blood sugar, it can be easy to feel overwhelmed and you may forget to follow up with your routine medical appointment. Following up with your doctor can help you with your diabetes management plan. Your doctor may perform blood tests to check your cholesterol and triglyceride levels and to control your blood sugar.
4. Exercise. Exercise is vital to your overall health and can help you better control your type 2 diabetes. Physical activity can help lower your blood sugar as well as help you maintain a healthy weight. Do whatever kind of exercise you like, so you know you will stick with it.
While a diagnosis of diabetes can be confusing anyway, it doesn’t mean you can’t lead a healthy lifestyle. Making healthy changes can help you better control your diabetes by controlling your blood sugar levels, and it can even help you reverse your type 2 diabetes over time.