The best golf resorts in the United States, Europe, Mexico and the Caribbean can be your choice for your next vacation. Turn it into a training and play golf vacation! There are so many package deals available to make your trip much more than just a break from your routine. A golf vacation will be a hands-on experience to improve your golf game, enjoy incredibly peaceful and luxurious surroundings, and visit a different state or a different country! This planning guide will point you out to some of the top-rated golf resorts in the world.
Whether you finally book for yourself or through an experienced golf travel specialist, start your research online where you can find premium golf courses and travel deals. Rates, resort amenities, and golf course details are available. But look for more packages that include airfare, hotel accommodations, and green fees for the best value. A typical resort golf vacation will include most of these features:
- Air ticket
- Accommodation at the Resort
- Confirmed departure times
- Prepaid green rates
- Shared cart for 18 holes
- Equipment rental
- Golf lessons
- Meals in exclusive restaurants
- Transfers to the course
- Airport transfers
- All taxes and service charges
The golf courses are planned in an enchanting setting where you can enjoy the sea breeze or views of the lush greenery, and you can combine golf with other resort amenities to give you a complete vacation.
For example, try one of the many glamorous Club Med Golf Resorts with beautiful fairways in the most unforgettable and attractive locations around the world. Club Med offers offers that include the best golf equipment and lessons for all skill levels! Their locations include Cancun, Mexico, as well as Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. Other places are spread all over the world: Turks and Caicos Islands, Mauritius, Portugal, France, Italy, Brazil, Thailand, Morocco, Egypt, Senegal and in the United States: Sandpiper Bay, Florida.
Scotland has some of the most beautiful golf courses in the world and there are approximately 100 resorts, called “golf hotels”, among the more than 500 golf courses throughout the country. The best known are Turnberry, Gleneagles and The Old Course Hotel St. Andrews. Each of them has a spa, leisure facilities, excellent restaurants and “golf lesson” packages for all levels.
Mexico has numerous golf courses located in luxurious coastal locations. There are golf resorts in Cancun, Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, and Los Cabos. Additionally, Mexico has its championship version in Baja of California’s famous “Pebble Beach” golf resort, called Bajamar, just a few hours drive from San Diego in Ensenada.
For the United States, search online for some of the golf courses suggested by key magazines such as Golflinkis the one who publishes The 100 best golf courses in the United States. This number is the best of more than 21,000 public and private golf courses across the country. However, within those hundred courses, you want to search for the resorts with golf lesson and program packages. In the top hundred, you’ll find that the top golf resort vacation destination states are in Arizona, California, Florida, Nevada, South Carolina, and Texas. Let’s check these states for their best locations:
- In sunny and always temperate Florida, Club Med’s Sandpiper Bay Golf Academy offers 2- and 3-day golf courses. The Academy includes all aspects of the game such as Chipping, Putting, Bunker, Pitching and Lob Shot, Full Swing with irons and woods. A video is provided that analyzes your swing, as well as an optional video that compares your swing to that of a professional player. Additionally, the area in and around Miami has regional golf resorts for vacationing throughout the year. Each resort offers on-site amenities and services, both on and off the field, and minutes from major Miami attractions such as South Beach and Miami MetroZoo. You will have a multitude of options during a golf vacation here.
- Arizona has a suitable climate for many months of the year and Scottsdale has nearly 200 golf courses, many of them set against the picturesque backdrop of the Sonoran desert. It is a golf destination with golf schools and professional shops. Here, many resorts offer high-quality accommodation and championship golf courses. Most golf courses offer packages in which hotel guests can have discounts on green fees. Additionally, Sedona, Arizona offers numerous golf courses with year-round mild weather and spectacular panoramic views of Red Rock.
- In California, Pebble Beach has long been known for being a small coastal golf destination located in beautiful Monterey County. It is home to the outstanding Pebble Beach golf courses, the Pebble Beach Lodge and the prestigious Inn at Spanish Bay. Each year, golfers return to rub shoulders with golf professionals and experience nature at its finest on the magnificent golf course designed by leading golf course designers. The harmony of the golf designs and the majestic coastline are breathtaking!
- Another golfer’s paradise is conveniently located along the South Atlantic coast on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. Combine natural beauty and world-class golf on a 12-mile-long, five-mile wide barrier island. Nicklaus, Palmer, and other golf legends have frequently played on these championship courses. Since the first course at Sea Pines opened in 1961, there are now emerald links in Harbor Town and exceptional courses in Bluffton as the Hilton Head area has become a major golf center. It is legendary for its spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean, scenic swamps, and maritime forests with abundant wildlife. The mild climate and year-round sunshine also make Hilton Head Island the perfect place to play.
- Las Vegas, Nevada, is quietly emerging as one of the fastest growing golf destinations in the United States amid the glitz and glamor of its casinos. The city’s huge convention center and countless hotel rooms make it a natural haven for large-scale golf events. With year-round sunshine and mild temperatures, and plenty to do after a full day of golf, from gambling to entertaining shows, this golf destination will continue to grow.
- CNN ranked Austin, Texas the number one city for golf on its 2010 Golf.com. Framed by the Texas Hill Country, Austin’s golf courses are among the best in the United States. The region is noted for the Wolfdancer Golf Club, which was named No. 56 in Golf weekTop 100 Resort Golf Courses of 2009. In addition to being a great city of contemporary music and home to many celebrities, Austin offers golfers on vacation great barbecue, idyllic year-round weather, and luxurious accommodations. .
Your best package will be at all-inclusive resorts, where flight, accommodation, meals, and golf activities are combined in one price. On the other hand, consider traditional hotels and resorts in the suggested locations. With a little online planning, one of the best golf resorts in the world may be your affordable option. Enjoy the location, the exploration of the region while improving your golf game and providing a happy and complete vacation for your family and loved ones!
(c) Elizabeth McMillian from 2012