Home Kitchen

Pet Bird Home Hazards: Keep Your Feathered Friend Safe

Interacting with a pet bird outside of its cage is one of the joys of living with a bird, but the home that is safe for us may not be as safe for our feathered friends. The little everyday things that we take for granted can injure or kill a bird in the blink of an eye.

Ceiling fans they are so common in homes these days that we hardly notice them. Sometimes it is easy to forget that they are even on. If your bird can fly, it can fly into the fan. Rotating blades can easily spell a quick kill. When interacting with a bird outside of its cage, play it safe and turn off the ceiling fan!

Nonstick coated pans They’ve made kitchen clean-up a breeze, but an overheated lined skillet releases fumes that are toxic to your bird. Recent studies have shown that even a moderately heated skillet can emit fumes, so regular cooking can be dangerous. When cooking, make sure your bird is safely in its cage to avoid accidents and when using non-stick pans make sure the kitchen is well ventilated to prevent fumes from reaching your bird. Do you want to make life for you and your birds even safer? Throw away the non-stick pans … fumes aren’t good for you either!

Pans, sinks, bathtubs and toilets Filled with water may be attractive to your birds, but it doesn’t take a lot of water for a bird to drown. Close the toilet lids when your birds are playing and if you both need a bath … take a shower together and skip the bathroom.

The nonstick coating is not the only inhalant that can be dangerous to your bird. You should never use aerosol sprays in any area where your bird can inhale the fumes. If you must use sprays in rooms where birds reside, remove the bird from the area and ventilate. Once the fumes have dissipated, it is safe to return your bird to the area. Some bird owners have reported illness or death when their birds were exposed to scented candles, perfumes, hairspray, and even scented lotions. Be aware of the scents you use in your home and watch your bird for any changes in behavior when any of those items are in use.

We all know that birds use their beaks to explore and play. Like puppies and kittens electric strings can pose a danger to chewing birds. Never leave a bird unattended in an area where it can chew on wires. Power continues to run through electrical cords when the item in question is turned off, so don’t think any cord plugged in is safe.

Having a bird’s-eye view of your home and taking precautions when your feathered friend is with you is the best way to make home sweet home a safe home for birds.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The psychology of collecting

September 10, 2021